I’m a sucker for Dhal, even in the warmer seasons. It’s easy to eat, warm, spicy and feels good in the belly. I cooked this recipe in my pressure cooker and it took 15 minutes. The coconut milk just calms and connects with all the spices, softening the veges making it easier on your digestion. Plus its a great vegetarian meal.
This dish provides a few bonuses for my peri-menopausal ladies; our gut and liver can be impacted by our fluctuating hormones and bodily changes. This dish provides ample fibre plus the herbs and spices are loved by the liver.
- Fibre plays many roles like feeding your microbiome, sweeping your gut of waste and helping you produce formed stools. Please note if we have been lacking fibre in our diet start slowly and ensure you drink plenty of water.
- The liver works with the gut to increase detoxification of waste material so cooking with turmeric, ginger, garlic and cumin will make your taste buds happy plus support your liver health and protect you against fatty liver disease.
2 Tsp turmeric
2 Tsp coriander
Cracked pepper + 2 tsp of salt
4 crushed garlic
1 Tbsp of grated ginger
2C of sweet potato, chopped, skin on
3C of cauliflower florets
2C of silverbeet, washed, chopped thinly
2 cans of coconut milk
1 onion, chopped
1 can chickpeas, washed + drained.
- This is the easy part…add all the ingredients into your pressure cooker except for the silverbeet. Cook on high pressure, manual for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked and switched to warming you can add the silverbeet. It won’t take long to cook in the heat.
- This makes a big batch so work out how much you need for your meal and the rest can go into glass containers and into the freezer. Its best to freeze in portions.
- I served with brown rice but any grains will do like white rice or quinoa. Then top with plain coconut yogurt and some fresh mint or parsley.
If you don’t have all these spices you can use any curry paste you have like korma, butter chicken or even curry powder but you’ll need to be generous.
Feeling frustrated with your health?
Sick of putting up with your symptoms. Come work with me so we get clarity on your long term wellness and what that means for you. I’ll teach you to how to honour your unique body needs with lifestyle and nutritional medicine strategies.