I’ve made this chicken curry 3 weeks in a row. Oooh my it’s just amazeballs. Today I added a chopped egg plant and bok Choy at the end. Then added to curry once all spices/chicken was added. It just dissolves, except for the skin and helps thicken the sauce.
Yellow curry loveCourse: Main
Look at these spices: Fresh galangal, turmeric, garlic, chillies, cumin, coriander, pepper, nutmeg, fish sauce, lime leaves, lemongrass stalks & lime. Seriously it’s the best.
Also check tips below to make this vegetarian.
2 Tbsps of Yellow curry paste or
4 cm fresh galangal or ginger root peeled
2 tsps turmeric powder
4 crushed garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Cracked black pepper
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
8 chicken thighs, with visible fat cut off
I cup of chicken stock or water
4 lime leaves more if you like
2 lemongrass stalks (bruised – smash slightly with a rolling pin or similar)
½ teaspoon salt
2 tsp fish sauce
1 cup coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp rice flour (helps to thicken)
- If not using the pre made yellow paste use a parmesan grater for the galangal or ginger, measure in the turmeric powder, garlic and the rest of the spices. Add olive oil to make it all come into a paste. Use a large bowl.
- Put chicken thighs into bowl with the paste. Mix it in well. You can do this part in advance if you have time and let it marinate. I’ve done both.
- Place the chicken into a med heated pan, gently brown.
- Pour in the stock, add the lime leaves, lemongrass stalks, fish sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 40 minutes. At the end if sauce needs thickening add rice flour and stir.
- When ready to serve, add lime juice and check seasoning.
- Serve with rice, steamed greens and extra lime wedges.
- If you want to add veges to this curry you could add bite size potatoes and or carrots (2) or eggplant (1) when you brown the chicken.
- Want some greenery instead…you could add 2 cups of spinach right at the end and let it wilt for 5 minutes.
- MAKE VEGETARIAN – My fav combo is sweet potato and eggplant, second combo is cauliflower and pumpkin. Chop into bite size pieces and follow chicken instructions. The only bit to avoid is the browning.