This dessert is the bomb. Its creamy, sweet and when served warm with cream your taste buds just get a little over excited. Its easy to make and a great dish for kids to try and expand their cooking skills. This recipe is from Bill Grangers Cookbook Summer. Fabulous cook book I’ve also made his Apple, Celery & Cucumber Salad which is now a family favourite.
- The Crust
125g (½C) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
90g (½C) caster sugar
175g (1¼C) plain flour (I used GF)
A pinch of salt
2 Tbsp almond meal (ground almonds)
- The filling
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp caster sugar (this can be halved)
2 Tbsp plain flour
550g cherries, pitted (fresh are best) I used frozen as cherries weren’t in season
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C.
- Have ready a 24cm/10-inch round loose-bottomed tart pan
- The Crust
- Stir together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour and salt and stir to make a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to the pan and press evenly into the base and sides with your floured fingertips. The dough seems like it’s not enough but it is.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the almond meal over the base.
- For the filling:
- Whisk together the cream, eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Add the flour and whisk until well mixed.
- Arrange the cherries over the pastry base and slowly pour the cream filling evenly over the cherries.
- Return the tart to the oven and bake 40-50 minutes until the filling is firm.Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve with cream or ice cream.